Ezra has been quite capable of discerning letters, sounds and combinations of letters for a while now. About a month ago he made a break through with his reading capabilities and is now an independent reader. He does occasionally memorize books still, and often guesses if he isn't sure, but I believe this is all part of word recognition and being a strong reader. One of my favourite things is listening to him read to me- it is also one of Silas's favourite things.
I took a video recently (last week) of him reading a book he had never read, or had read to him previously. He had seen the book a few months ago, but I handed him the book just moments before I took the video, and I do not think he knew I was video taping him when he read it.
I am excited about this new skill he has, and not concerned as to what it means for once he starts kindergarten because he will more than likely be attending a French Immersion school, and therefore will not learn to read in English at school.
No comments:
Post a Comment